We had the good fortune of connecting with Yakesha Jones and we’ve shared our conversation below.
Hi Yakesha, what role has risk played in your life or career?
I feel like I’ve lived my entire life by taking risks. Every morning I wake up and I am eternally grateful for all of the risky decisions that I have made in life. Of course I feel like the craziest risk I have taken in life is turning my passion and love for make-up into an actual business almost 2 years ago. I reflect, and I feel proud of myself for taking certain risks, so that I could end up where I am and who I am in this moment.
Let’s talk shop? Tell us more about your career, what can you share with our community?
Morphed by Monroe started as a fun hobby with doing a few faces in college then grew into prom and graduation makeup when I started teaching. Eventually, clientele was by word of mouth only and I was (and still am) a walking billboard. It was definitely hard but I can say that I appreciate all the love that I’ve received over the years. I’m excited about the growth I’ve experienced as an MUA and becoming a brand ambassador for lash and lipstick businesses. The thing that sets my brand apart from other brands is that although I am an educator (by day), I’m also a learner and hard worker. I always make it my duty to represent to the fullest so that I can continue to transform and enhance the beauty of everyone with amazing products, as well as promoting inclusivity, empowerment, and equality.
Let’s say your best friend was visiting the area and you wanted to show them the best time ever. Where would you take them? Give us a little itinerary – say it was a week long trip, where would you eat, drink, visit, hang out, etc.
Well my friends all know I am good for finding places to go in the city so here’s what we would do:
- Sunday is always a good day for brunch so let’s hit Pangaea sit on the patio and sip a cocktail or two, after brunch let’s go watch a game and listen to some good music at True kitchen and Kocktails
- Monday is a work day so let’s go to happy hour and grab an early dinner at Houlihan’s (firewheel)
Tuesday definitely we have to go to Uptown for mambo taxis & tacos at Mi cocina
- Wednesday is hump day so let’s go eat at Village burger in Uptown, then go have drinks and karaoke at the Hideaway
- Thursday let’s go to Trinity Grove and start with cake bar, then end with sum dang good chinese for dinner and drinks
- Friday let’s get fancy and go to Del frisco’s (the view is amazing and so is the butter cake) followed by area one 11 for dancing
- Saturday is for champagne sipping so to Stirr Addison for brunch we go then to the Galleria for a little retail therapy, Shell shack for dinner then Henderson taphouse for drinks and hanging out!
Who else deserves some credit and recognition?
I would love to dedicate my shoutout to my mother, Sheila Jones. She showed me the true meaning of hard work and being an independent woman. If it wasn’t for her constantly pushing me to always do my best, keeping me involved in multiple activities all my life in school and church plus teaching me the many life lessons along the way that I still hold near and dear to my heart… I honestly don’t know where I would be! I can definitely say she raised a very responsible and well rounded young lady.
Other: Email: email@example.com
All photos were taken by and are property of Morphed By Monroe