We had the good fortune of connecting with Falisha McGee and we’ve shared our conversation below.
Hi Falisha, what do you want your legacy to be?
A legacy of “access” is my north star. Not just any access, but access to jobs, training, internships, connections, and opportunities. Most people have dreams of a better life, but some fall short due to lack of access to real connections, real employment opportunities, real mentors, and real support. Providing access to those within our minority communities can greatly increase the chance of achieving their dreams and eventually bridge the generational wealth gap. You know, everyone wants the diamond and most forget it takes a certain environment and a certain amount of pressure that allows the diamond to be formed. I want to be remembered for making many many many beautiful diamonds; unapologetically.
Can you give our readers an introduction to your business? Maybe you can share a bit about what you do and what sets you apart from others?
I have created two sister companies born from my story. Level Up Training Center and Level Up Training LLC.
Level Up Training LLC was created in 2020 to serve the B2B community. As a Certified Woman Owned Small Business, we are primarily contracted by other companies and organizations to help transform their project management practices which also can include a switch in project management framework. We are unique in that we provide 360-degree solutions to our clients which allows them to have more intel when making implementation decisions.
My biggest challenge thus far is finding the balance between being the CEO and the principal consultant at the same time. Some solutions I implemented are listed below:
Solution 1: Give myself permission to learn as I go and be flexible enough to accommodate change based on newly found information.
Solution 2: Find good vendors and outsource when necessary. Through networking I found great vendors to outsource bookkeeping, accounting, payroll, and secondary SOW contract reviews.
Level Up Training Center is a Texas Workforce Commission-approved college that is 100% virtual. We specialize in providing exam preparatory courses that give our students the right support to pass their external certification exams. With each enrollment students attend instructor-led courses, have access to practice exams and quizzes, have their exam fee paid, and have access to our mentorship experience.
My biggest challenge with opening and operating a college is student funding. We at Level Up Training Center want to ensure we can provide access to the road of professional certifications for those in our minority communities. Some solutions we have implemented are as follows:
Solution 1: Level Up Training Center is a registered training provider for the Texas Workforce Commission. Thus, those that apply and qualify for the Texas Workforce Commission Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) may be awarded a scholarship that fully covers various exam preparatory courses at Level Up Training Center. You can start your WIOA process by completing the following:
• Create your WorkinTexas.com Jobseeker Profile at https://www.workintexas.com/
• Contact your local Workforce Center at www.wfsdallas.com and schedule your appointment.
Solution 2: Create a scholarship fund for those that want to sponsor a student to attend an exam prep courses at Level Up Training Center. For more information on how to sponsor a student contact Falisha McGee @ Falisha.McGee@levelup-
If you had a friend visiting you, what are some of the local spots you’d want to take them around to?
So many fun spots in Dallas and its surrounding burbs…Here is a list of fun and exciting places that I have enjoyed while in Dallas!
1. Deep Ellum – This place is awesome and provides a variety of things to do and places to eat. For my friends that want to enjoy deep Ellum during the day, they can walk around the various shops and stop by my favorite spot to eat, The Free Man. Recommended shrimp po’boy. Go at night and there is a live band playing cover music.
2. During the day a nice place to grab a quick bite to get a neighborhood vibe, is El Tizoncito. Recommended dish is the full order of chicken nachos! Recommended drink – Large Tamerita!
3. Sunday Funday – For a nice Jamaican vibe /Karaoke spot on Sundays is Heroes Lounge. The food and drinks are good.
4. Favorite Lounge Spot hands down – Sandaga! I love this place. You can enjoy both the outside and inside. The inside gives live band cover song vibes and you can reserve VIP seats. Outside gives family cookout, picnic tables, BBQ vendor servicing best BBQ potatoes ever! Good company, good drinks, good vibe.
5. Rosati’s Pizza – Chicago Style Deep Dish! As a native of Chicago, I can vouch for this pizza spot for its deep-dish Chicago-style pizza. Recommend topics are gourmet sausage, garlic, basil, and spinach (if that’s your thing).
6. Flaming Cheese Saganaki – Best Gyros spot! Recommend the gyros sandwich with either Greek potatoes or Greek fries!
7 Braum – Favorite ice cream spot- Recommend Butter Pecan Mixer or shake.
8. EatZi’s – Great local grocery store in Oak Lawn. Although they have them in different locations, I have only visited this one.
You can get a lot of prepared foods from this grocery story including freshly made pizza, salads, chicken, and so many options!
Shoutout is all about shouting out others who you feel deserve additional recognition and exposure. Who would you like to shoutout?
I believe that every person, experience, and situation I have encountered have all led me to where I am and who I am today; However, I would like to give a special shout-out to my parents, Michael and Mary.
My parents are my biggest supporters and teachers who are also entrepreneurs. I witnessed them taking huge risks that led to great ROI’s and ultimately a great family business in the transportation industry. I learned the value of prioritizing family from my parents, being humble, and paying it forward. They are still happily married for over 30 years now and I continue to learn from them daily.
Website: Level Up Training Center: https://www.levelup-trainingctr.com/ Level Up Training LLC: https://www.leveluptraining-llc.com/
Instagram: Level Up Training Center: https://www.instagram.com/leveluptrainingctr/
Linkedin: Level Up Training Center: https://www.linkedin.com/company/leveluptrainingctr/
Twitter: Level Up Training Center: https://mobile.twitter.com/level_center
Facebook: Level Up Training Center: https://www.facebook.com/LevelUpTrainingCtr